AceShowbiz - Sony Pictures has confirmed that their partnership with Marvel Studios for Spider-Man and Spider-Man movies is over. A representative for the former has released a statement after reports surfaced earlier on Tuesday, August 20 that a dispute between the two studios threatened the future of Tom Holland's character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
"Much of today's news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige's involvement in the franchise," says a Sony spokesperson. Blaming Disney for cutting the successful cooperation short, the rep adds, "We are disappointed, but respect Disney's decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film."
According to the statement, Feige may have too much on his plate, following Disney's acquisition of 21st Century Fox which makes Disney own the rights to additional Marvel characters. Still opening the possibility of partnership in the future, Sony continues in the statement, "We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him - including all their newly added Marvel properties - do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own."
Having nothing but good words for Feige, Sony promises that it will continue to make Spider-Man live-action movie(s) despite without Marvel and Feige's help. "Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue," it states.
As reported before, Sony and Disney could not come to an agreement over a financial arrangement on future Spider-Man films. Disney reportedly asked to share co-financing 50-50, while Sony wanted the financing arrangement to stay roughly the same as it has been on "Spider-Man: Homecoming" and "Spider-Man: Far From Home".
The dispute put Spider-Man's future in jeopardy as the standoff would prevent Spidey from appearing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe again, and future Spider-Man movies could not make any references to events or characters in the MCU. However, a rep for Sony earlier said negotiations were still ongoing and the character's fate was not sealed yet.
Following news of the latest development in Sony-Disney deal, fans have taken to Twitter to express their disappointment. "@SonyPictures @Disney Please sort this out. Tom Holland's Spider-man is the BEST addition to the MCU. Stop fighting over money and play nice," one wrote. "@SonyPictures before marvel stepped in Spidey was dead. What makes you think you can do it better?"
Another upset fan tweeted, "i seriously wake up to some sony-marvel bullcrap, y'all ain't giving spider-man any legacy. Not only that, but you're seriously disappointing Stan. TOM HOLLAND NEEDS TO CONTINUE PLAYING PETER PARKER BECAUSE WE'RE NOT GIVING U A CHOICE."
"This Spider-Man s**t is breaking my heart. Tom effing Holland is amazing," a third fan reacted to the news. Another added, "I'm done. We went through this in 2014. If they can't play ball with Feige and let Spidey be done justice in live action then I'm out."
Blaming Sony for the broken deal, someone else threatened to boycott Sony's films, "I'm not paying to see Morbius, Venom 2, Venom vs. Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3 and 4, the Spider-Verse sequels, the Kraven movie, any of it."
Some others, however, remain optimistic that this situation would change in the future. "For everyone discouraged by the recent Spider-Man/Sony news, just remember: Disney has no plans to make any Spider-Man movies for the next couple of years," one remarked. "And A LOT can change in a couple of years. Remember that, and don't give up yet."
Another said, "Guys, it's not like Spider-Man not being in the MCU is the end of the character (or even that version of Spider-Man). I know it sucks but please calm down. Be thankful it's not as big of a mess like the DCEU..."
Disney and Marvel have not released a statement regarding the Spider-Man deal.