AceShowbiz - Ric Flair's wife has given fans major updates on his condition after he was admitted to the hospital last week. In a statement released through PEOPLE on Monday, May 20, Wendy Barlow confirmed that the two-time WWE Hall of Famer had underwent surgery after the procedure was postponed due to several other issues.
"He is out of surgery and in the recovery room," she said in the statement. "Doctors said the procedure was a success! Thank you to everyone for all your prayers and support during this difficult time."
While it's certainly good news that Flair is doing all right, his health struggle has forced the retired athlete to pull out of "The Roast of Ric Flair". The event is set to take place on May 24 at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, but it's said that Flair won't be healthy enough by that time to make the trip from Atlanta, where he is staying, to Las Vegas.
Flair was rushed to hospital after suffering a "very serious" medical emergency on Thursday morning, May 16. However, his son-in-law Conrad Thompson later clarified that his condition was not as serious as it seemed, with Barlow saying in a previous statement that Flair was expected to make a full recovery.
He was initially expected to undergo surgery on the following day, but his doctors decided against moving forward until other issues were dealt with. "Ric's surgery has been postponed until Monday to address some complications that needed to be taken care of first," Barlow said at the time. "Thanks for all the well wishes."
This is not the first time for Flair to be experiencing medical scares. Back in 2017, he was hospitalized in the early stages of kidney failure and on the verge of congestive heart failure, which was a result of years of alcohol abuse. His family members were told he only had a 20 percent of surviving and was placed in a medically induced coma. Fortunately, Flair made a recovery after doctors subsequently removed part of his bowel and inserted a pacemaker.