Prince Philip Will Not Face Prosecution for January Car Crash
WENN/Alan West
Celebrity

Officials from the Crown Prosecution Service notes that they also took Duke of Edinburgh's volunteer surrendering of his driving licence into account in the collision case.

AceShowbiz - British royal Prince Philip will not be prosecuted over his recent car crash, which injured another motorist and her passenger.

The Duke of Edinburgh was involved in an accident as he drove his Land Rover vehicle out of a driveway near the royals' Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, England on January 17. The driver of the other car, a Kia, was hospitalised with minor injuries.

On Thursday, February 14, officials from the U.K. Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced the 97-year-old would not face any further action, having already voluntarily surrendered his driving licence.

"The CPS has carefully reviewed material submitted by the police in relation to a traffic collision on the A149 (road) on 17 January this year," Chris Long, Chief Crown Prosecutor for the East of England, said in a statement. "We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving licence. We have decided that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute."

The duke's vehicle was flipped on its side in the accident and emergency services were called to the scene. The other car was being driven by Ellie Townsend, 28, with her nine-month-old baby and passenger Emma Fairweather, 46, travelling with her.

Philip penned an apology letter to Fairweather, who broke her wrist in the smash, and gave up his licence last week.

After the announcement that the prince would not face charges, officials at Buckingham Palace told The Guardian he "respects" the decision taken by the CPS. However, they refused to elaborate on whether he would give up driving on private land.

You can share this post!

Related Posts