Chicago PD to Pursue a Case Against Jussie Smollett If He Lied About Hate Attack
WENN/FayesVision
Celebrity

Chicago police superintendent Eddie Johnson says the 'Empire' actor is still being treated as a victim, but he will be held accountable if he made a false police report.

AceShowbiz - While support has been pouring in for Jussie Smollett after an alleged homophobic attack on him, police are apparently still questioning his story. Chicago police superintendent Eddie Johnson told local media on Tuesday, February 5 that the "Empire" actor would be held accountable if he lied about the attack. Johnson said that Smollett is still being treated as a victim in this case, but they would pursue a case against him if he made a false police report regarding the incident.

Johnson's statement comes after some people doubted the alleged attack on Smollett. As it was reported before, while he was clearly attacked, police are not convinced that Smollett has told them everything about the incident. A source told MTO News, "Jussie is holding back information." The so-called insider added, "I can't say that Jussie wasn't attacked. But it didn't [happen] like he said it did, and the police don't believe him either."

So far, police have not found a video that captured the attack. Smollett was indeed seen walking several blocks to and from a Subway sandwich shop that night, but police investigation revealed that Smollett was on camera for all but about 60 seconds of his trip, during which the actor reports the attack took place.

The 36-year-old singer/director is reportedly wanted for another interview with the cops while he's back in Chicago to film the FOX musical drama series. According to TMZ, Smollett is staying in the same apartment complex he was living at the time of the attack.

At FOX's Television Critics Association presentation on Wednesday, "Empire" executive producer Brett Mahoney condemned the attack on Smollett. "The attack on Jussie, because he is such a beloved member of our family, hurt us all very hard. Jussie is a proud, gay black man," he said. "I don't know whether the cowards who attacked him were trying to beat the gay, the black or the pride out of him, but that's impossible, because he's strong. And so we're happy that he is back at work."

Fox Entertainment CEO Charlie Collier also weighed in on the attack earlier in the day, "My heart goes out to Jussie and everyone involved. It really is just a tragic thing."

You can share this post!

Related Posts