AceShowbiz - Are police doubting Jussie Smollet's story about the attack on him? While the investigation is still underway and police have released photos of the suspected attackers, they are reportedly questioning if the actor said the truth about what happened.
A so-called insider tells MTO News that police are not convinced that Smollet has told them everything. The source, who is allegedly close to the "Empire" star and having "intimate knowledge" into the investigation, says, "Jussie is holding back information."
The source points out one particular detail which is being questioned by the authorities. While the 36-year-old actor said he was followed by two men who then attacked him, surveillance footage obtained by police so far didn't show that Smollet was followed by any alleged attackers like he said.
The insider concludes, "I can't say that Jussie wasn't attacked. But it didn't [happen] like he said it did, and the police don't believe him either."
Smollett was assaulted in Chicago early on Tuesday morning, January 29 by two men wearing ski masks who hurled racist and homophobic epithets at him. The actor made a 2 A.M. run to Subway for food after he arrived late from New York. They battered Smollett's face, poured an unknown chemical substance on him, and tied a noose around his neck.
The openly gay actor drove himself to Northwestern Hospital. He reportedly sustained a fractured rib in addition to bruises and cut on his face. Police said on Tuesday that he's "in good condition."
Prior to the attack, Smollett received threatening letter addressed to Fox Studios, in Chicago. The letter, which photo is obtained by TheGrapeJuice.net, includes homophobic message which read, "You will die black f**," with Smollett's full name written on the envelope.
TMZ reports that the studio increased security on the cast after they received the threatening message, but Smollett turned down extra security. He allegedly reasoned that adding bodyguards during off-hours was an intrusive way of living.