AceShowbiz - Last week, it was announced that one of "Game of Thrones" prequels was ordered to a pilot with Jane Goldman attached as the writer. Now, author George R.R. Martin offers more details of the remaining four spin-off plans.
Martin took to his blog on Monday, June 11 to announce that he would join Goldman, who also serves as showrunner, in co-writing the pilot of the prequel. The author revealed that they're currently early in the process. "We don't have a director yet, or a cast, or a location, or even a title," he shared.
He added that he preferred "The Long Night" to be the title. "My vote would be The Long Night, which says it all, but I'd be surprised if that's where we end up. More likely HBO will want to work the phrase 'game of thrones' in there somewhere," Martin wrote.
While fans are happy that one of the prequels is in the works, Martin confirmed in the blog post that one other prequel concepts had been rejected. However, he assured that the other three remain in active development. The three prequels, he added, were "set in different periods and featuring different characters and storylines."
"Everything I am told indicates that we could film at least one more pilot, and maybe more than one, in the years to come," Martin shared. "We do have an entire world and tens of thousands of years of history to play with, after all. But this is television, so nothing is certain."
In addition, he said that the prequel projects wouldn't affect "Winds of Winter", the sixth novel in his epic fantasy series "A Song of Ice and Fire". The 69-year-old book writer assured fans by writing, "Work on Winds of Winter continues, and remains my top priority. It is ridiculous to think otherwise. If I wasn't busy with Winds, don't you think I'd be scripting one or more of these pilots myself? It's not as if I've never written for TV…"